Unveiling geo solutions from deep within
NORA is a large scale international alliance among research universities, corporations and agencies, founded, rooted and coordinated by Rui Perdigão and Julia Hall from Meteoceanics.
Phase Blue: NORA Meteoceanica
Rooted in our deep oceanic resources to embrace our interdisciplinary Earth System missions, NORA Meteoceanica emerged to nurture the following ventures:
- Peering into the deep oceans to shed light onto the fundamental dynamics and predictability of oceanic circulation, including the emergence of new regimes, novel dynamic features, elusive critical transitions and extreme events.
- Detecting early warning signs of climate change-induced abrupt shifts in ocean circulation, and conversely ocean circulation-induced early warning signs for abrupt critical climate transitions with global impacts.
- Pioneering new non-invasive technologies to gauge the ocean dynamics at their full tetradimensional spatiotemporal extent, taking pulse of its intrinsic dynamics from local to global, from event to geological scales.
- Reading the manifold messages conveyed across the oceanic domain, from biogeophysical dynamics within to propagation of geophysical and anthropogenic disturbances.
- Developing innovative technologies for deepening system learning beyond state of the art adaptive machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques, thereby grasping the natural environmental intelligence and its underlying information physics.
- Sensing – and predicting – the inner pulse of our planet from the ocean dynamics, for the ocean itself is a superb storyteller.
NORA Meteoceanica carries the Meteoceanics Flagship reference MR-070220-BLUE for the initial 2020-2025 phase. Synergies with other initiatives on the current decade of the oceans are welcome.